Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Food And Exercise Analysis - DAY 1



ANALYSIS

Carbohydrates: I ate more than I was required to, as I have 222% percent instead of the needed 100%, though I ate a number of whole grains carbohydrates which is quite good.
Proteins: 1/4 of my diet consists of protien as seen from the calorie chart, which is quite okay, but the mypyramid site recommends 5.5 ounces for me, almost close to the 6 ounces of grains, so I think I might need to add a serving of protein to my diet.
Fats: I do not have a whole lot of fats (thanks to my mom!), which is good.
Vitamins and Minerals: I did an okay job with my vitamins and minerals, as most were within expectation limits, but I am very low on some of the key vitamins - A (65%),D (50%)and E (54%), and on some key minerals - Calcium (47%) and Potassium (78%).

While irregularities can be danngerous, high or low, but some are not bad for health. For example, I have an exceptionally high intake of Vitamin C - 304%, which is an antioxidant, and lowers risks of cancer and heart disease. It also produces collagens which holds cells together and helps the immune system, noursishes the skin and gives it a glowing effect as well as protects the gums. "Experts say it is one of the safest and most effective vitamins!"
Another good aspect of my nutrition is my iron intake - 119%, as it helps in forming haemoglobin, strengthens the immune system, develops the health of the brain and improves metabolism. But I need to make sure I don't have a severe iron overdose as it can lead to liver failure. 
My phosphorus intake is 120%, which is good, as phosphorus is key to strength in bones and teeth along with calcium, helps in digestion and performs essential activities for the brain, kidney and the heart, however, a sever overdose can lead to calcium malabsorption as these two nutrients work side by side.

On my weak side, the one I need to work on most is my calcium intake - I have only 47% of what I should have. In the long run, this could lead to nervous system irritability, weaker bones and severe muscle aches and pains - leading to early body damage.
I should also focus my attention on my high sodium intake. Although, my intake is around 3,000 mg, and the recommended maximum is 2,400 mg (not a super huge difference), I should concentrate on limiting my intake as in the long run it could lead to high BP, stroke, cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis and gastric cancer as well - all leading towards an earlier death.
Though I am deficient in both Vitamin D and E significantly, I think the more important one to focus on is Vitamin D, as significant deficiency in Vitamin E to lead to any major illness is very rare as nuts and oils such as sunflower, mustard oil have a lot of Vitamin E, which most people use anyways. Deficiency in Vitamin D can lead to rickets (softening of bones), breast cancer, Alzheimer's disease and many more serious problems.
To change these aspects of my diet, I must drink more milk or other high calcium food items, less salt in food and food rich in Vitamin D such as fatty fish like Salmon.

In totality, I would say I was within the range listed by the mypyramid site, maybe lacking a little bit on the meats. On the exercise though, the site says that I should get alteast 60 minutes of exercise, which I "formally" didn't, yet if the total amount of time in my exercise list (excluding sleeping and my lifestyle) it adds upto 2 hours. However, in order to be a healthier person, I must include some formal hours of exercise as most of my exercise isn't constant or continous, thus the calorie count probably is a little high than it should be. So, I should make it a point to go to the gym atleast for 30 - 40 minutes everyday.

There are many problems with this program's analysis of the food and the exercise. Firstly, I tend to eat mostly homecooked food, and the way my mom makes the food is definitely not the way this program sees it as it is 'Americanized.' Thus I had to select bits and pieces here and there, which probably doesn't accurately count the calories. For example, it says I take too much salt. I have been eating this food for years and by now, I should probably be seeing small BP increases over the years, going towards the high end, if not at the high end. My father is a very health conscious person, and he checks our family's BP once in a while - I am always on the low side even when sitting. And being from such a health conscious family, my mom does not put "too much salt" anyways.Then, this program considers me deficient in Vitamin D through my food, while the main source for this is the Sun and staying in a tropical country, and spending a relatively good amount of time in the Sun (studies say about 20 minuts good exposure is enough), I am sure that if this was put into account, my intake of Vitamin D would be much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment